A Little About Myself

Friday, October 29, 2010

In Praise of the F Word

 Sherry's essay "In Praise of the F Word", I enjoyed very much as the title you expect she is talking about the F word in profanity terms. But after getting started you realize that's not what it's about but about failure. Sherry also talks about how telling a student he will fail encourages him to change his attitude and care. The essay also makes a point about education now days that if you just pass someone on there not getting educated but on there way to failure. Failure is a strong word and I know personally if I am told that  im going to fail something i'll strive to do better in the fear of not passing or succeeding at something. I also experienced myself as I hate math with a passion. My freshman year in high school I was in spanish, and my teacher was one of the track coaches at the time. Well I took advantage of that and would rarely show up, until she told me she was going to fail me if I didn't start showing up to class. I was in shock so I took it seriously and did end up showing up to class and passing. Sherry's essay was good and made excellent points, as well as telling what teachers are doing today and what needs to be done about it, letting kids know they can and will fail if they don't try.

1 comment:

  1. HI Josh,

    I like the examples that you use in relation to Sherry's essay. Tell me is this something that you intend to continue for Task Three? If so, are there similar circumstances that you could discuss in the paper? With the post that you made about coming to school, is that something you might include? What you may find is that because the paper is three full pages in length, you might want to include a second source. If so, what might you include?

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete