A Little About Myself

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Becoming Educated

When I graduated from high school, I did not know what I wanted to do with my life or what career I wanted to pursue, yet my mother, and aunt wanted me to continue my education. My mom attended college so it was very important to her that my brothers, I did. I believed that getting a college education was what I was supposed to do to become a educated person. Though at that time in 2003 when I graduated I was doubtful on college I had no clue what I wanted to get into at the time. I also was lacking on enthusiasm and commitment I just wouldn't of had my heart into it. An educated person is not only someone who has a degree or high school diploma, but also someone with a general knowledge about many subjects and ideas.  He or she should be able to observe, understand, form an opinion, and communicate with others in life. Being that I rarely paid attention to such issues as government, the environment, schools, and finances.  I  learned about these over time, and now at the age of 26 consider them important in every day life. An educated person has a continued desire to learn the rest of his or her life.  Since I have returned to school, I now have the ambition and the drive to obtain a degree and a goal to do the best that I can, though working a full time job doesn't make it easy at all.  When I am not in classes, I work hard at my job, and trying to accomplish any homework and gain more knowledge each day in and out of the class room.  Occasionally I am reminded of the immature teenager I once was by some of my younger classmates.  I'm curious if they realize they are jeopardizing their educations when they ignore the hard work and skip classes. An educated person is someone with a clear contact between his or hers education and society and someone who can apply what he has learned and use those skills to better people’s lives as well as your own. Your certification is in your degree.  You may think of it as the ticket to the good life, such as making money and going on in life with a loved one. We mostly think of an educated person as having a degree and finished with learning.  I know of no one person who could possibly know everything.  I believe an educated person is always changing day and night at any given moment, is at a different learning level.  Learning is a life long process where the many experiences we face help us out later in our lifes especially in society.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Josh,

    I find it interesting that you mention that education means to observe, understand, form an opinion and communicate it. This is similar to what Jordan's view of becoming educated means. Would you agree or disagree? Why?

    I am glad that you did not go onto college right away. It is better for some persons to experience the real world for awhile. If someone is serious about returning, then he/she like you will be more apt to be present, do the assignments, etc.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete