A Little About Myself

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Douglas Question Reflection and Writing

Douglas story and my story are different because of how he had to learn and how I learned. I was offered schooling out of a public school and access to technology that was not offered then. My environment usually a friendly one, was with a teacher and other classmates who I could look up to or speak with about school. Attending a school were race was not an issue and, not having to run and hide while trying to learn and become educated. Douglas was a slave and was only offered reading and writing while under certain people. He did not have the option of attending a school with other students and teachers. He while reading a newspaper would get it taken away, because if he learned it was looked down upon. Slave owners were afraid of a slave becoming educated as they may become smarter or more knowledgeable than that of the slave owner. He had to come up with other ways to learn and become creative to do so. Douglas and I don't really have any similarities even though being of African American descent, I never had to struggle to receive education. I was also taught by a teacher which he was not offered, he was his own teacher in the ideas he came up with to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment